Schedule is according to the Production calendar, depending on show assignment. Unpaid.
The Sound Department at Porchlight Music Theater is responsible for the technical sound needs for all productions as well as for special events. The Sound Department is also responsible for the maintenance and repair of all sound equipment, the purchase of new equipment related to sound, and in the successful completion of the organization and paperwork necessary in the performance of the above tasks.
Description of Job Duties:
The sound Internship is a practical overview of Audio Engineering in theater. Interns assist with production load in and strike of all sound systems. Attend all necessary rehearsals and meetings as called. Run performances as needed. Assist with repair and maintenance of audio inventory. Learn basic programming of playback systems, sharpen trouble shooting skills. Develop an up to date knowledge of current audio systems and advances, as well as become proficient on existing technologies. Learn the designer relationships, how theater productions develop and the process to bring a production to the stage. Interns duties can include participating in recording sessions, dubbing, sound editing, live sound engineering and support for company functions as well as running performances as needed.
Day to day tasks:
- Assist the Sound Designer in daily sound department duties
- Work closely with other technical departments during the runs of the shows
- Opportunity to be involved in the technical process of opening a live show
- Help maintain and repair sound equipment and create organizational paperwork
- Work closely with local and visiting theater professionals
- Assist on any special projects should any arise
Position is supervised by:
Sound Designer and Production Manager
Who should apply for this position?
Applicants with interest in the development of their audio engineering skills.
- Desired Skills and Experience:
- Computer word processing proficiency; experience with one or more types of sound-management software a plus
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Sound background, live sound mix and/or computer-controlled systems experience a plus
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Interest in exploring the details of live theatrical sound
- Willingness to learn and work as a part of a team