Assistant Stage Management Intern
Schedule is according to the Production calendar, depending on show assignment. Unpaid.
15 – 25 hours/week
Porchlight Music Theatre's Stage Management Department runs productions that are often complicated and require all of the organizational and technical skills available to even the most experienced stage manager. As a company, Porchlight Music Theatre has grown in size and it is the stage manager's duty to keep communication flowing, not only to the production department and designers but also to administration, marketing, development and education departments.
Description of Job Duties:
Stage Mangement interns experience productions from first rehearsal through final performance. In the process they are exposed to a wide range of duties while working with PMT's teams of professionals. Stage Management Interns are required to attend rehearsals and become an active running crew member during performances, if needed.
- Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Setting up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Assisting with normal stage management duties
- Assisting with floor management during the run of the show
- Work closely with both administrative and technical departments
- Opportunity to learn in Scenic, Lighting, Sound and Costume departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars and production records
- Work with Chicago's leading theater professionals and visiting companies
- Assist on any special projects on an as-needed basis
Day to day tasks:
- Assisting Stage Management with paperwork - prop lists, contact sheets, calendars, etc.
- Serving as a member of the run crew (If needed)
- Taking line notes, and being on book for rehearsals
- Assisting during understudy rehearsals
Position is supervised by:
Production Stage Manager and Production Manager
Who should apply for this position?:
Applicants interested in learning about the functions of a professional stage manager should apply. This position requires a certain amount of stage management experience coupled with the desire to dig in and learn the ropes in a fast-paced environment.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Stage Management experience
- Effective communication skills
- Some technical theater experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer proficiency, specifically in all Microsoft Office applications
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team.