JOB DESCRIPTION – SEPTEMBER 2017
Porchlight Music Theatre
Overview: Create and implement the annual strategic development plan for the organization. Build a structure for effective fundraising to meet the organization’s current and future financial needs in a sustainable and consistent way. Foster collaborative relationships with existing and potential individual donors, funders, corporate sponsors, and other public/private organizations in an effort to advance the mission and vision of PMT.
Position Type: Full-time, exempt, salaried
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct report(s): Development Associate
- Share a passion for Porchlight Music Theatre’s mission
- Collaboratively with staff and board, set long-range goals and development strategies, aligned with the company’s goals and vision
- Develop and oversee execution of annual development plan encompassing objectives for major gifts, individual support, planned giving, private/government funding, corporate sponsorships/partnerships, and special events, with strategies for identification/prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition
- Collaborate and provide project direction to the Director of Institutional Advancement to ensure: Integrated efforts with the overall development plan and strategic goals; Increased contributed support from government, public and private institutions; Sustainable community outreach effort
- Oversee development presence at website; manage and enhance online giving initiatives
- Direct all aspects of major gifts/individual giving including creating and executing strategies for identification/prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition
- Conduct donor and prospect research, particularly mining the 1000 patrons recently wealth-screened but largely not yet solicited
- Create and execute appeal campaigns (now 2/year), integrating print/mail, email, video efforts
- Create and implement a moves management process
- Manage the development focus at all company events
- Execute the direct-ask component, as applicable, including paddle raisers at both the ICONS Gala and Chicago Sings
- Ensure board/staff is equipped with attendee bio info in order to cultivate and steward
- Collaborate with Audience & Events Director on the event-management and auction aspects of Annual Benefit, Chicago Sings and other development events
- Oversee Development Associate in managing development-related data in patron database (PatronManager), accurate record keeping, gift processing, development and fulfillment of donor benefits, gift recognition, moves management and donor correspondence
- Provide development support/training to staff, committees and board as needed, with special emphasis on assisting board in cultivating their contact lists
- Actively participate in ongoing reporting to ED/Board, in the annual budgeting process, in regular staff/committee/board meetings, in opening night performances, special activities, fundraising events, industry events, retreats/planning sessions, and other events as requested
- Oversee planning for any capital and/or endowment campaigns, including creation of related materials, prospect research and cultivation, correspondence, and major asks
- Ensure the organization and its mission and programs are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant constituencies with a strong case for support
Send cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
About Porchlight Music Theatre
As the home for music theatre in Chicago for 22 seasons, Porchlight Music Theatre is nationally recognized for its work celebrating and sustaining the art of music theatre. Known for inventive Chicago premieres, boldly re-imagined classics, and the support of new musical works, Porchlight showcases music theatre’s noted Chicago veterans and rising stars, and elevates the genre by providing intimate and powerful theatrical experiences of music theatre through the lens of the “Chicago Style.” The 2017-2018 season marks a milestone for Porchlight as the company moves from its long residency in the Lakeview neighborhood to become an Artist In-Residence at the historic Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast.