JOB DESCRIPTION – MAY 2019
Porchlight Music Theatre
Overview: Provide graphic design and operational marketing support to the artistic, development, education and other activities of Porchlight Music Theatre, Chicago’s center for music theatre now in its 24th season. This position works closely with internal departments to strategize, develop, coordinate and execute marketing/communications efforts and materials.
Position Type: Part-time (approx 20 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly
Reports to: Executive Director with project direction from Marketing Manager and Marketing/PR partner
Manage the timeline of marketing activities/deliverables for each production or event, ensuring successful meeting of deliverables by stated deadlines; review current status at weekly Marketing meetings
- Coordinate materials and services for Mainstage series, Revisits series, New Faces Sing Broadway series, and other artistic programs
- Create promotional copy for eblasts, website and social media; participate in strategy/message development
- Hire and oversee any outside graphic designers, mailing house and other marketing-related vendors, when necessary
- Project manage all show programs, i.e Footlights, (Mainstage, Revisits, etc.), including collection of information, overseeing design and coordination with printer, when necessary
- Create and execute audience engagement activities based on season artistic selections, educational initiatives and development goals; assemble lists of target organizations for each production/event and reach out to offer educational/engagement opportunities and to generate sales
- Work with Audience Services team to prepare reports based on audience surveys, box office data, etc. providing analysis on audience demographics/trends and the success of targeted marketing efforts in conjunction with Marketing staff
- Assist in developing and executing new marketing strategies for increasing single ticket sales, subscriptions, and event attendance
- Provide backup photography and videotaping, when necessary
Manage the annual season brochure production including design, printing, mailing/distribution
- Assist in hiring outsource graphic designer
- Coordinate all materials for graphic designer (photos, logos, copy, etc), writing copy as needed
- Work with chosen designer on edits and completion of brochure
- Secure competitively priced printing and mailing house services
- Coordinate internal and external mailing lists
- Oversee mailing of brochure and other distribution efforts
Work closely with various departments to create promotions to support the company’s non-production income streams including education and rentals (rehearsal studios, scene shop, set pieces/props/costumes).
Assist with graphic design, video, social media and website content for all departments.
- Assist with weekly eblasts, coordinating with other departments on content and working from a pre-determined schedule
- Create social media content, specialized graphics and posting across platforms
- Assist with website updating
Design and execute materials to support fundraising/development activities (events, appeals, etc.), with marketing staff
- Coordinate production and execution of promotional materials (invitations, eblasts, etc.)
- Create on-site signage and materials for events
- Manage video elements at events, creating/editing video as needed
- Assist on-site with major fundraising and company events such as the ICONS Gala, Chicago Sings, Mainstage opening nights, holiday party, etc.
Provide design and marketing support for education programming and The School at Porchlight
- Create and execute print promotions, emails, social media posts, etc.
- Handle advertising/listing placements
- Coordinate videotaping/photography of current offerings for use in future promotions
Attend regular marketing and staff meetings as scheduled, when necessary, providing reports as needed
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum 1 year design experience
- Proficient with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects and Illustrator; comfort using WordPress, MailChimp and/or Patron Manager are a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and to handle multiple tasks and priorities
- Team-player with high level of initiative and professionalism
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as performances or events require
- Location: Ruth Page Center for the Arts (1016 N. Dearborn)
- Part-time (approx 20 hours/week), with opportunity for eventual full-time
- Non-exempt, hourly
- Energetic and casually professional office environment
Send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
About Porchlight Music Theatre
As the home for music theatre in Chicago for 22 seasons, Porchlight Music Theatre is nationally recognized for its work celebrating and sustaining the art of music theatre. Known for inventive Chicago premieres, boldly re-imagined classics, and the support of new musical works, Porchlight showcases music theatre’s noted Chicago veterans and rising stars, and elevates the genre by providing intimate and powerful theatrical experiences of music theatre through the lens of the “Chicago Style.” The 2017-2018 season marks a milestone for Porchlight as the company moves from its long residency in the Lakeview neighborhood to become an Artist In-Residence at the historic Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast.