Porchlight Music Theatre, the city’s leader in music theatre now in its 23rd season, seeks an organized and self-directed individual to join our growing team as a part-time Bookkeeper, providing support to our small, fast-paced nonprofit arts organization. Hourly position at an average of 20-25 hours per week, with a minimum of three days in the office.
Overview: Provide bookkeeping support to the organization, working cooperatively with part-time Finance Manager and full-time Executive Director, as well as across departments within the company and with outside vendors.
- Proven experience in small-business day-to-day financial management
- Excellent knowledge of QuickBooks and Excel
- Solid interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, detail oriented, and to handle multiple tasks and priorities
- Team-player with high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Proficiency with other Microsoft Office applications
- Competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience
Reports to: Executive Director
- Enter debit and credit card transactions in QuickBooks
- Enter bills and cut checks
- Input timesheets and initiate payroll
- Enter cash receipts into QuickBooks
- Handle finance filing and other administrative tasks
- Respond to financial questions from internal departments
- Handle all external financial inquiries and route accordingly
- Assist Finance Manager in providing content and data for monthly status reports and other reports as requested
- Assist Finance Manager in the annual audit, creating/submitting W2/W3s, and the electronic filing and distribution of 1099s
- Assist Finance Manager and Executive Director with creating and maintaining a departmental Policy & Procedures manual
- Attend regular staff meetings
Porchlight Music Theatre is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Send cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
About Porchlight Music Theatre
As the home for music theatre in Chicago for 24 seasons, Porchlight Music Theatre is nationally recognized for its work celebrating and sustaining the art of music theatre. Known for inventive Chicago premieres, boldly re-imagined classics, and the support of new musical works, Porchlight showcases music theatre’s noted Chicago veterans and rising stars, and elevates the genre by providing intimate and powerful theatrical experiences of music theatre through the lens of the “Chicago Style.”