Production Manager Gypsy / Porchlight Revisits 1776
Porchlight Music Theatre seeks an experienced Production Manager for our upcoming production of Gypsy and the Porchlight Revisits staged reading production of 1776. Working under the supervision of the Executive and Artistic Directors, Production Managers are key members of the leadership team and shepherd the production aspects of Porchlight’s theatrical productions through successful completion by managing people, budgets and schedules, and by keeping production team members as well as overhire staff informed, motivated and engaged. Production Managers are the main point of contact for guest designers and are responsible for fostering a collaborative and welcoming environment as well as ensuring that the best possible product goes on stage through implementing all production and technical requirements safely and within budget parameters. Production Managers supervise the building of Porchlight productions and support of other Porchlight activities as well as the solicitation and hiring of outside labor.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Artistic Director to manage all designers and stage managers. Ensure the timely and complete receipt of all designs from each designer.
- Coordinate with the design team and production staff to execute all scenic, costume, lighting, sound, and special effects elements.
- Supervise load-in and technical rehearsals for all Porchlight productions, including the creation and management of department schedules, coordination of use of space and troubleshooting same. Ensure that all appropriate departments are made aware of any problems, notes, or changes.
- Be responsible for all load in and production needs during run of show to ensure beingon time and on budget while maintaining a safe presentation.
- Schedule and run production meetings as needed. Communicate thoughts and concerns as well as budget information to all members of the design and management team.
- Hire, supervise and manage Production staff (including Master Electrician, Sound Engineer, Technical Director, Wardrobe Supervisor, Prop Masters, etc.) through production meetings and ongoing feedback. Manage their budgets, schedules, and other needs. Involve Artistic Director and Executive Director on performance issues as needed.
- Read all proposed plays and work with Artistic Director and Executive Director to plan production budgets.
- Request from the Business Office all necessary paychecks, fees, reimbursements, advances, and bill payments for all members of the production staff, design teams, run crews and support personnel in a timely manner.
- Prepare projections and periodic reports for production budgets.
- Participate in developing and refining with Artistic Director, Executive Director, and production staff plans for capital improvements and equipment purchases, long range operating budget and long range staffing plan as needed.
- Coordinate and supervise the transfer or tour of all physical production elements of any Porchlight production as needed.
- Ensure safe practices and OSHA compliance is observed by all production staff and overhire in all aspects of operation.
- Provide technical support to all Porchlight activities, including mainstage productions, Education and Outreach programing, Development Events, readings, workshops and outside projects as contracted.
- Proven leadership and management experience, diplomacy and calmness under stress, and excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
- An advanced understanding of budgeting and scheduling mandatory, as well as proficiency in Excel.
- Knowledge of all areas of technical theatre needed; experience as crew member and supervisor a plus.
- Previous supervision and oversight of in-house Scene Shop is desirable. Must be able to handle numerous tasks at the same time and coordinate all aspects of production.
- Must have at least three (3) years experience of Production in live professional theatre.
- Must be able to physically access all technical spaces in the theater.
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle required.
Starting salary is $3000 for the delivery of the full production of Gypsy and the oversite of the 1776 staged reading production that takes place on the same set for three performances. Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and is competitive with similar positions within the mid-size non-profit performing arts industry.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of diverse candidates.
- Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter addressing your specific skills related to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No phone calls please.