No Longer Available
Porchlight Music Theatre’s Artistic Director Michael Weber takes the audience on a guided tour of Broadway’s musical history from the late 1800s to the present day. Weber shares the story of how the American idiom, the musical, evolved decade by decade with ALL-NEW musical performances designed especially for this video production.
Starring Porchlight favorites performing songs from Show Boat, Girl Crazy, Funny Girl, Chicago, Les Miserables, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Waitress and more!
The cast of Broadway By The Decade includes:
Blu, Neala Barron, Darilyn Burtley, Lucy Godinez, Donterrio Johnson, James Earl Jones II, Michelle Lauto and Michael McBride.
Directed by Michael Weber
Music Directed by Michael McBride
Production team: Eric Backus (audio engineer and sound mixing), Alex Rhyan (director of production), Christopher Pazdernik (casting & company manager), Ben Balmer (production assistant) and Austin Packard (videographer/editor)
Critics are Raving!
“BROADWAY BY THE DECADE PROVIDES SOME MUCH NEEDED MUSICAL THEATER CHEER”
“BROADWAY BY THE DECADE makes for truly delightful viewing because some of Chicago’s most beloved musical theater actors perform iconic numbers from the American musical theater songbook.”
“Porchlight’s BROADWAY BY THE DECADE is such a welcome offering at this time: It reminds us of the power of musical theater, while also leaving space for us to mourn its temporary absence on Chicago stages-and a reminder of what will still be there for us when theater returns.”
“For those who miss live musical theater as much as this critic-and who are interested in learning more about the history of the art form while enjoying some spectacular performances of iconic songs-Porchlight’s BROADWAY BY THE DECADE is more than worth viewing.”
BroadwayWorld.com – Rachel Weinberg
FOUR STARS – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
“ENTERTAINING … ALSO CATHARTIC”
“Interspersed with scenes taken from popular A-list musicals, one per decade, the video adds dramatic effect by featuring contemporary vocalists, who unleash fresh energy into older songs and scripts.”
“Today with COVID and the inability to produce stage shows, Porchlight Music Theatre has turned to making an entertaining chronology on the history and development of musicals that enhances our appreciation of the performing arts in general.”
AroundtheTownChicago.com – Julia W. Rath
A “WELL-PRODUCED AND VERY WELL-SUNG 45-MINUTE DIVE INTO BROADWAY HISTORY”
“Burtley kicks off with a smoky rendition of “Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man of Mine” from Show Boat (1927), accompanied by McBride at a white grand piano.”
“Tenor [James Earl] Jones knocks it out of the park with “Who Am I?” from Les Miz, while Baron and Godinez cut loose with big alto voices on “I Am My Own Best Friend” from Chicago ( 1975 ). Godinez also nails “She Used to Be Mine” from Waitress ( 2015 ), the final song in this compilation.”
Windy City Times – Jonathan Abarbanel
Frequently Asked Questions
- How will I receive the video link? Once the production is available for streaming, you will receive the viewable link and password via the email you used to register for this event. If you have issues finding your link or email, please check your spam folder.
- When will I be able to watch the program? Your viewable link and password will be sent to the email you used to register for this event immediately following your purchase, or on September 25 at 12pm if purchased early. Once you receive your link and password, you will have 72 hours to watch “Broadway By The Decade.”
- What if I experience technical difficulties or am unable to view “Broadway By The Decade?“ We are not responsible for technical difficulties on your home devices or any issues with your local broadband or wifi. However, there is online support available to help you as best we can. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for online support, or call us at 773.777.9884 (Click here for Box Office hours). Please remember that your video link and password will be available for 72 hours from the time it was sent.
- What’s the refund policy? There are no refunds for this event.
- Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable? No transfers or sharing.
- May I give this as a gift or purchase access for multiple households? Yes, you may gift access to friends and family! To do so, you will need to make a separate purchase for each household and provide a different name and email address associated with that viewing household. The confirmation email will go directly to them.
- How do I contact the organizer if I have questions? You can email email@example.com with questions, or call us at 773.777.9884 (Click here for Box Office hours). We will get back to you as soon as possible and thank you for your patience.