Work With Us
Opportunities at Porchlight Music Theatre
Porchlight is Chicago’s center for music theatre thanks to the work of our dedicated and talented staff and artists. If you have skills and experience that would be an asset to our team, we’d love to meet you!
Porchlight Music Theatre is a professional, nonprofit Chicago theatre with an annual budget, in normal times, of about $2.5million. We are part of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers, operating on a CAT II contract.
Celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for more than 25 years, Porchlight is in residence at the historic, intimate Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, and completed the best-attended and highest-grossing season in its history just prior to the pandemic.
Porchlight delights more than 30,000 patrons each season with a three- to four-show Mainstage season of inventively reimagined classics, recent Broadway hits and new musical finds; a Porchlight Revisits series of rarely seen musicals in limited run with enhanced dramaturgy; a New Faces Sing Broadway cabaret series; and a free Broadway in your Backyard neighborhood-park concert series, in addition to educational programs for students of all ages through classes and camps, Chicago Public Schools and community partnerships. After the pandemic shuttered stages last spring, Porchlight has been an industry leader with virtual programming, offering a wide range of both free and premium programs.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Porchlight Music Theatre!
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future audition calls.
Porchlight Music Theatre announces
VIDEO SUBMISSIONS for Non-Union General Auditions for RENT
(Information below for Non-Equity Performers; Equity Performers — please refer to the Equity portal.)
Open to all ethnicities, genders and ability (18+). Seeking Chicago local hires only, We encourage Trans and Gender Non-Conforming performers to submit for any roles they are interested in; genders listed are those of the character, not the performer.
Seeking strong actor/singers/dancers. (See Character Breakdown.)
Jonathan Larson+, music, lyrics, and book
Adrian Abel Azevedo+, Director
Michael McBride+, Music Director
Michael Weber+, Artistic Director
Frankie Leo Bennett+, Producing Artistic Associate
Rehearsals: Porchlight Studios, 4200 W. Diversey Avenue, Chicago, IL
Tech/Performances: Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL
PAY: $384 per rehearsal week + $45 per performance
AUDITIONS – VIDEO SUBMISSION ONLY
Video Submissions Due by 6PM Friday, April 8
A struggling musician and former drug addict. Roommates with Mark in the loft and battles with being HIV-positive.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: F2
Filmmaker and video artist. Knee deep in his own soul-searching. He and Roger are roommates in the loft. A bit of a nerd.
Vocal range top: G4
Vocal range bottom: A2
A computer genius and liberal professor. He is a nurturer with a smooth and relaxed disposition. Used to be a roommate in the loft and is HIV-positive.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: F#2
Benjamin Coffin III
The landlord of Mark and Roger’s apartment building. A former roommate in the loft, Benny traded in his personal morals for power and wealth.
Vocal range top: F#4
Vocal range bottom: Bb2
A public interest lawyer and headstrong lesbian. She is smart and purposeful in all her decisions. Carries on a tumultuous relationship with Maureen.
Vocal range top: E5
Vocal range bottom: G3
Angel Dumott Schunard
The eccentric HIV-positive street drummer. A drag queen with an incredible gift of dance and a magnetic personality. He becomes Tom’s lover.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: C3
An HIV-positive stripper with drug addictions. Slender and sickly, she conceals it all at her job in the local strip club. She lives in the same building as the loft.
Vocal range top: E5
Vocal range bottom: Eb3
An unpredictably zany performance artist. Maureen oozes sexuality and used to live in the loft. She has recently dumped Mark for Joanne.
Vocal range top: F5
Vocal range bottom: C4
Homeless Men & Women; Junkies, Parents (Mrs. Cohen, Mr. & Mrs. Jefferson); Support Group (Steve, Gordon)
Week of Wed, Oct. 5: 1st rehearsal
Sat, Oct 29: 1st performance
Fri, Dec 30: Close
We are working to accommodate a 5 day workweek and rehearsals will be scheduled during the below times:
Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: 4:30pm – 10:30pm
Saturday: 11am – 7pm
Sunday: 1pm – 9pm
Material to Prepare:
Please submit 1 32-bar cut, music in the style of the show that best shows off your voice or select one of the cuts in the link below, based on your vocal range. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/
VIDEOS: Please submit one (1) video file containing song submitted as either a direct YouTube or Vimeo link, or method *not* requiring the video to be downloaded for viewing.
HEADSHOT/RESUME: Please submit together as one PDF file named LastName_FirstName. (ex. Smith_Jane.pdf). TO SUBMIT: Please send one (1) email to auditions@
If you experience technical difficulties formatting your submission as requested, please let us know and we will be happy to work with you to find an alternative solution. Email only; no phone calls, please.
Porchlight Music Theatre seeks a creative and energetic full-time Design Associate to join our fast-paced Marketing team, providing graphic design, photography, video and tactical marketing support to artistic, development, education and other activities of the theatre. This position reports to the Marketing & Communications Director and works closely with the Marketing Associate and internal departments to strategize, develop, coordinate and execute marketing/communications efforts and materials.
- Provide graphic design for the organization’s activities including artistic/performance programs, development/fundraising and education programs
- Work with Marketing & Communications Director to manage and advance the Porchlight brand
- Manage production of the annual season brochure and related promotions
- Secure competitively priced printer and mailing house, etc.
- Coordinate all materials for design (photos, photo approvals, logos, copy, etc), writing copy as needed and managing rounds of edits
- Coordinate internal and external mailing lists
- Oversee mailing of brochure and other distribution efforts
- Oversee production and special event playbills/programs and design of Annual Report
- Support subscription and single ticket sales efforts
- Coordinate production and execution of digital and printed promotional materials (individual program promotions, invitations, advertisements, signage, etc.) across departments
- Manage PMT website, ensuring consistently updated and easy-to-find information
- Provide backup photography and videography/editing
- Other duties as assigned, with the ability to work evenings and weekends as activities require
- Minimum one year graphic design experience
- Proficient with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects and Illustrator; comfort using WordPress, MailChimp and/or Patron Manager are a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge and ability to report on the analytical data for, but not limited to, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Track record of meeting deadlines, prioritizing projects and multi-tasking
- Cultural competency to work with individuals and groups from diverse racial, religious, ethnic, educational, ability and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as members of the LGBTQ and gender non-conforming communities
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as performances or events require
- Local to the Chicago area; Porchlight has a hybrid work structure but the nature of this position and the industry requires some in-person work and events
- $37,000 annually, commensurate with experience
- Benefits: optional individual health insurance with 80% employer contribution; optional dental/vision coverage; generous paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays; flexible hybrid work schedule
Please send a cover letter, resume and design samples via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full job description posted at porchlightmusictheatre.org/about/opportunity/. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Marketing & Communications Director
Porchlight Music Theatre seeks a strategic marketing leader to serve as Marketing & Communications Director. The Director will create and execute both short-term and long-term strategic marketing plans to develop and grow an annual audience of more than 30,000 and ticket revenue in excess of $1 million. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing & Communications Director serves as a key member of the theatre’s senior management team, essential to conversations about critical issues that will have a lasting impact on the company and its position in the industry. The Marketing & Communications Director works closely with the Artistic, Development and Education departments to promote a diverse theater season, events, fundraising campaigns, education programs, readings and more. This is a great opportunity for a talented and ambitious leader in the field of arts marketing.
Subscriptions & Single Ticket Sales (30%)
Conceive and execute robust, integrated subscription and single ticket campaigns, including direct marketing, media placements and strategic partnerships, to meet or exceed goals.
- Develop and oversee sales and marketing strategies for renewals and acquisitions
- Define and develop market segments for targeted, personalized initiatives
- Oversee creation and distribution of print marketing materials, including the annual season brochure and related materials
- Forecast and budget subscription and single ticket revenues
- Set and manage single ticket and subscription pricing, maximizing revenue by modeling future sales and refining dynamic pricing strategies
- Develop reporting and analytics to effectively track and assess sales and financial performance
- Oversee outsourced group sales
Other Program Marketing (20%)
Collaborating with program areas, develop, manage and evaluate marketing efforts to brand and promote education programs, community outreach and fundraising events to maximize organizational revenue and ensure consistency with institutional branding.
- Develop strategic and tactical marketing plans
- Manage print, photo and video assets
- Oversee content and print, on-air and digital advertising
Audience Development & Community Partnerships (20%)
Execute innovative audience development and customer experience strategies with a focus on increasing patron loyalty, maximizing revenue and increasing audience diversity.
- Collaborate closely with Audience Services Director on Porchlight’s main interactions with its patrons to ensure the highest-quality customer experience
- Plan, manage and execute audience and market research to assess audience satisfaction, understand demographic and psychographic profiles, and hone audience-building strategies
- Cultivate opportunities for audience development and community connections that serve and engage underrepresented and marginalized audiences
- Build and sustain long-term and collaborative relationships with community connections and strategic partners
Brand & Content Management (10%)
Develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy and plan to achieve organizational goals for branding, public relations, partnerships, sales and awareness.
- Manage and cultivate Porchlight’s brand and key messaging in local, regional and national markets
- High-level institutional content management of all web, digital and print projects, marketing collateral and advertising campaigns, providing creative direction and approval
- Direct the creation of all visual assets and content to reflect Porchlight’s brand identity and dynamically tell the story of Porchlight’s impact
Media Relations & Corporate Communications (10%)
Manage and collaborate with external media relations firm on institutional and programmatic communications that generate consistent local, regional, and national media interest.
- Cultivate media and publicity for Porchlight people and programs
- Approve press releases and publicity initiatives
- Collaborate with ED on corporate communications, including talking points, board communications and strategic updates
Manage Marketing Department staff, calendar, budget and processes.
- Hire, manage and mentor marketing staff in the creation and distribution of robust, content-rich digital and print materials, including social media platforms, prioritizing work and offering direction and support that ensures both effective results and engaged employees
- Oversee comprehensive organizational communications calendar, including all artistic, fundraising and education/outreach programs
- Manage Marketing budget creation, tracking and forecasting, efficiently managing expenses
- Negotiate favorable terms and sponsorships with major vendors such as designers, printers, mailing house, and media (for ad placement)
- Consistently refine workflow and efficiencies in department processes
- Serve as staff liaison to board Marketing Committee
- Minimum 5 years experience in performing arts marketing with a proven track record in setting and executing strategy, and achieving goals
- Strong organizational, planning and personnel management skills with ability to focus on strategic vision as well as day-to-day plans
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong analytical abilities, creativity and unwavering interest in detail
- Evidence of maturity, drive and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills
- Proficiency in digital media best practices (social, SEO, display, etc.)
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with CRM databases and capabilities (ex: Patron Manager)
- Love of theatre/performing arts
- Cultural competency to work with individuals and groups from diverse racial, religious, ethnic, educational, ability, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as members of the LGBTQ and gender non-conforming communities
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as performances, events or meetings require
- Salary: $75,000, commensurate with experience
- Benefits: optional individual health insurance with 80% employer contribution; optional dental/vision coverage; generous paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
Please send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Porchlight is hiring Teaching Artists for all youth programs- specifically for school sites on the south side of Chicago!
$25-35/hour plus paid prep and planning time and possible travel stipend per class.
If you are interested (or know anyone who may be interested) in this role, send an email with your resume attached to our Education Director, Rebeccah Singer, at rebeccah@
- Work with Education Director and teaching team to plan, prepare, and execute classes upon agreed schedule
- Attend teachers’ meeting prior to the start of the teaching session and agreed upon number of continuing training and professional development sessions
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of class and be ready to receive students at class time
- Not miss more than two classes per session
- Communicate the need for a sub as soon as possible to Education Director
- Work collaboratively with teaching team to distribute responsibilities
- Participate in self evaluation and provide feedback on teaching team and class experience
- Plan and schedule class based on PMT curriculum and code of conduct
- Restore the classroom space after class each day
- Communicate any student absences to the Education Director
- Communicate the need for all printing and supplies as soon as possible, or purchase and submit reimbursement
- Adhere to all deadlines for class communications including newsletters and programs
- Read, distribute, and understand all information pertaining to teaching at PMT, including parent welcome letter, students’ information sheets, show day information
- Wear appropriate attire when on-site teaching.
Porchlight Music Theatre will:
- Make payments for work completed in a timely manner
- Provide an acceptable space for teaching and handle communication with schools and sites
- Handle all enrollment, marketing, and administrative issues and communicate any changes in a timely manner
- Provide any needed administrative support to run a successful class
- Porchlight Music theatre reserves the right to cancel a class due to low enrollment, in which case monies will not be owed to teacher for any classes that were cancelled and not taught. It is Porchlight’s obligation to inform the teacher 24 hours in advance of the scheduled start of class if the class may be cancelled.
- All curricula and unit plans are the property of Porchlight Music Theatre.
How to apply:
Please send your resume + cover letter to our Education Director, Rebeccah Singer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Join the Team. Be a Porchlight Intern.
Porchlight Music Theatre’s Internship program is an opportunity for qualified college students, graduates, and young professionals to learn in a hands-on environment as part of the staff of a non-profit theater. Porchlight offers internships in different categories: Artistic Administration, Education & Outreach, Development & Special Events, Marketing & PR/Publicity, and Artistic/Casting.
Porchlight Interns work closely with their departments on special projects and ongoing work. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. You can find more information about each internship in “more info”.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Porchlight is NOT accepting applications for internships at this time. Thank you for your interest.MORE INFO
Be a Part of Our Team As a Volunteer*
Porchlight Music Theatre welcomes volunteers to assist our staff on a variety of projects and events.
- Volunteer benefits include complimentary tickets to Porchlight Music Theatre productions and events, as available.
- Volunteers must complete and submit an application, and an interview will be conducted either in person or via phone.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Volunteer.
*Please note that theatre ushers are provided by The Saints, Volunteers for the Performing Arts. For information on how you can become a Saint, call (773) 529-5510.I Want to Volunteer!
Porchlight Music Theatre accepts full length scripts year-round from literary agents and theatre professionals with whom we have an existing professional relationship. We invite unrepresented writers to submit a brief bio, short synopsis, and ten pages of sample dialogue and music on CD or sent electronically.More Info