Work With Us
Opportunities at Porchlight Music Theatre
Porchlight is Chicago’s center for music theatre thanks to the work of our dedicated and talented staff and artists. If you have skills and experience that would be an asset to our team, we’d love to meet you!
Porchlight Music Theatre is a professional, nonprofit Chicago theatre with an annual budget, in normal times, of about $2.5million. We are part of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers, operating on a CAT II contract.
Celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for more than 25 years, Porchlight is in residence at the historic, intimate Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, and completed the best-attended and highest-grossing season in its history just prior to the pandemic.
Porchlight delights more than 30,000 patrons each season with a three- to four-show Mainstage season of inventively reimagined classics, recent Broadway hits and new musical finds; a Porchlight Revisits series of rarely seen musicals in limited run with enhanced dramaturgy; a New Faces Sing Broadway cabaret series; and a free Broadway in your Backyard neighborhood-park concert series, in addition to educational programs for students of all ages through classes and camps, Chicago Public Schools and community partnerships. After the pandemic shuttered stages last spring, Porchlight has been an industry leader with virtual programming, offering a wide range of both free and premium programs.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Porchlight Music Theatre!
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future audition calls.
Porchlight is hiring Teaching Artists for all youth programs- specifically for in school residencies and after school programs.
$25-35/hour plus paid prep time and travel stipend per class.
If you are interested (or know anyone who may be interested) in this role, send an email with your resume attached to our Education Director, Rebeccah Singer, at rebeccah@
- Work with Education Director and teaching team to plan, prepare, and execute classes upon agreed schedule
- Attend teachers’ meeting prior to the start of the teaching session and agreed upon number of continuing training and professional development sessions
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of class and be ready to receive students at class time
- Not miss more than two classes per session
- Communicate the need for a sub as soon as possible to Education Director
- Participate in self evaluation and provide feedback on teaching team and class experience
- Restore the classroom space after class each day
- Communicate the need for all printing and supplies as soon as possible, or purchase and submit reimbursement
- Adhere to all deadlines for class communications including newsletters and programs
How to apply:
Please send your resume + cover letter to our Education Director, Rebeccah Singer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre – especially residents of Chicago’s south and west side and Spanish speaking teaching artists – are strongly encouraged to apply.
Join the Team. Be a Porchlight Intern.
Porchlight Music Theatre’s Internship program is an opportunity for qualified college students, graduates, and young professionals to learn in a hands-on environment as part of the staff of a non-profit theater. Porchlight offers internships in different categories: Artistic Administration, Education & Outreach, Development & Special Events, Marketing & PR/Publicity, and Artistic/Casting.
Porchlight Interns work closely with their departments on special projects and ongoing work. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. You can find more information about each internship in “more info”.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Porchlight is NOT accepting applications for internships at this time. Thank you for your interest.MORE INFO
Be a Part of Our Team As a Volunteer*
Porchlight Music Theatre welcomes volunteers to assist our staff on a variety of projects and events.
- Volunteer benefits include complimentary tickets to Porchlight Music Theatre productions and events, as available.
- Volunteers must complete and submit an application, and an interview will be conducted either in person or via phone.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Volunteer.
*Please note that theatre ushers are provided by The Saints, Volunteers for the Performing Arts. For information on how you can become a Saint, call (773) 529-5510.I Want to Volunteer!
Porchlight Music Theatre accepts full length scripts year-round from literary agents and theatre professionals with whom we have an existing professional relationship. We invite unrepresented writers to submit a brief bio, short synopsis, and ten pages of sample dialogue and music on CD or sent electronically.More Info