Work With Us
Opportunities at Porchlight
Porchlight Music Theatre is able to Chicago’s center for music theatre thanks to the work of our dedicated and talented staff and artists. If you have skills and experience that would be an asset to our team, we’d love to meet you!
Porchlight Music Theatre is a professional, nonprofit Chicago theatre with an annual budget, in normal times, of just over $2 million. We are part of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers, operating on a CAT II contract.
Porchlight has been celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for the last 25 years. After the pandemic shuttered stages last spring, Porchlight has been an industry leader with virtual programming, offering a wide range of both free and premium programs.
As an Artist In-Residence at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, we present our Mainstage and Porchlight Revisits series in this intimate, historic 218-seat venue. Other programs, such as the New Faces Sing Broadway revues and youth programming, bring us to neighborhoods across the city. Our award-winning productions delighted 35,000+ patrons last season.
Over the past several years we have significantly expanded our audience and supporter base, enhanced our community outreach and youth education programming, and continually raised the bar on the quality and variety of our artistic offerings.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Porchlight Music Theatre!
(ABOVE: Michelle Lauto and Yando Lopez in “Preview In The Park.” Photo by Austin Packard)
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future audition calls.
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future opportunities.
Posted July 2021
Porchlight Music Theatre, Chicago’s center for music theatre for more than 25 years, seeks a creative and energetic full-time (40 hours/week) Marketing Associate to join our fast-paced team, providing graphic design, photography, video and tactical marketing support to the artistic, development, education and other activities of the theatre. This position reports to the Marketing & Media Director and works closely with other marketing staff and internal departments to strategize, develop, coordinate and execute marketing/communications efforts and materials.
- Create and coordinate social media, eblast and website content across all departments, providing photography, videotaping and video editing, in addition to providing the marketing staff data on posts and analytics.
- Design and execute materials to support fundraising/development activities
- Provide design and marketing support for education and engagement programming
- Coordinate materials and services for Mainstage series, Revisits series, New Faces Sing Broadway series, and other artistic programs
- Manage production of the annual season brochure including design, printing, mailing/distribution
- Minimum one year graphic design experience
- Experience with video projects, including videotaping and editing
- Proficient with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects and Illustrator; comfort using WordPress, MailChimp and/or Patron Manager are a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge and ability to report on the analytical data for, but not limited to, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Spotify
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Track record of meeting deadlines, prioritizing projects and multi-tasking
- Cultural competency to work with individuals and groups from diverse racial, religious, ethnic, educational, ability and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as members of the LGBTQ and gender non-conforming communities
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as performances or events require
Starting salary of $35,000, with paid time off, generous paid holidays and optional health insurance with 80% employer contribution.
Please send a cover letter, resume and design samples via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Posted July 2021
PRODUCING ARTISTIC ASSOCIATE
As we plan for our reopening this fall, Porchlight Music Theatre seeks a highly motivated, enthusiastic and experienced Producing Artistic Associate to provide operational and creative support for the artistic activities of the theatre, including administrative and creative assistance to the Artistic Director. The Producing Artistic Associate works collaboratively with all departments and communicates extensively with hired artistic and production staff in overseeing company management, casting support and executing special events and artistic initiatives.
Company Management (30%)
Serve as the main point of contact for the companies of all productions/events including Mainstage, Porchlight Revisits, New Faces Sing Broadway and other performance-related events.
- Maintain information/resources for each production, managing access in shared drive, for headshots and bios, Contract Log with accurate info on payment amounts/dates, contact info, overtime and scheduled absences (coordinating with SM and Finance), and Contact Sheets (shared among all company members at appropriate times).
- Create, manage and distribute individualized welcome/info information and attend Meet & Greets in person to review information.
- Execute and ensure timely return of all agreements/contracts and other paperwork.
- Distribute rehearsal materials in an efficient and trackable manner; make additional copies of and/or source materials as needed; collect materials and return per deadlines.
- Support guest artists including arranging travel/accommodations when needed.
- Create (with designer and outside apparel vendor), sell and distribute production-specific apparel for individual mainstage companies (available for order at start of rehearsals).
- Order mainstage company dinners and provide order info to Audience Services and SM.
- Maintain regular check-ins with the company throughout the production.
- Serve as Disciplinary Contact for company members, addressing issues in a timely and documented manner.
- Plan and execute opening night receptions for Mainstage and Revisits companies.
Casting Support (30%)
Provide support to the Artistic Director and guest artists in casting and related activities.
- Coordinate all logistics for auditions, including posting notices, setting up/monitoring online audition sign-ups, managing/distributing video submissions to artistic staffs, scheduling monitors, hiring accompanist, overseeing audition-room setups, etc.
- Communicate with directors, music directors, etc. in the gathering/creating of sides and sheet music/recordings, character descriptions and breakdowns for auditions.
- Communicate with all artists in the hiring process including invitations to audition, notification and scheduling of callbacks, notice of release, etc.
- Serve as liaison between artistic, production, and administration for the hiring of actors/personnel.
- Recommend candidates as needed throughout the casting and performance process.
- Attend area productions and showcases to scout talent for future productions.
Producing Support (30%)
Support Artistic Director in planning and executing productions and events.
- Support the Artistic Director in planning and curating future seasons and events.
- Assist the Artistic Director and Director of Production in assembling creative and technical teams.
- Communicate and track contract offers/negotiations to actors, directors, music directors and stage managers.
- Curate and coordinate post-show discussions, working collaboratively with Education and Marketing as part of a larger audience engagement initiative.
- Collect and assemble program content and send to Marketing (in-house designer) and/or outside printer; manage execution and delivery to Audience Services.
- Serve as a knowledgeable and enthusiastic artistic representative of Porchlight at performances and events as requested.
- Serve as project manager (research, planning, budgeting) for additional performances, such as Broadway in Your Backyard, Porchlight Carolers, New Works Festival and donor events.
- Work collaboratively with Artistic Director to create set list, script & structure for special events.
- Source sheet music required for productions and special events.
- Create/assemble “Behind the Show Backstory” content, make edits as directed by AD.
- Report BMI/ASCAP rights, contracts and payments.
- Assist AD in preparing materials and information for the board and other stakeholders.
- Transcribe Mainstage scripts for open caption performances.
- Transcribe Porchlight Revisits scripts for performance.
- Arrange meal/”craft service” for all rehearsal/performance needs.
- Coordinate all assemblage and scheduling of concert/cabaret/new works performances as directed by AD.
- Research/Assemble musical/script materials for concert/cabaret performances as directed by AD.
- Pursue outreach partnership opportunities for concert/cabaret events as directed by AD.
- Participate in organizational planning such as strategic meetings and external committees
- Attend relevant training to stay current on industry norms and best practices
- 1-2 years of experience, or equivalent exposure, in casting and company management at a resident theatre or for a commercial producer
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Detailed-oriented and ability to multitask
- Ability to work nights and weekends as required
- Knowledge of musical theatre repertoire past and present
- Knowledge of local musical theatre talent
- Knowledge of AEA and SDC contracts
- Ability to draft and interpret personnel contracts
- Knowledge of excel, Google Drive, and other Windows applications
- Starting at $36,000 annually
- Benefits: Individual PPO health insurance with 80% employer contribution; generous paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
Please send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Join the Team. Be a Porchlight Intern.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to Covid-19 and a hybrid plan of office and remote work, Porchlight has paused its internship program until further notice, at least through Spring 2022.
Porchlight Music Theatre’s Internship program is an opportunity for qualified college students, graduates, and young professionals to learn in a hands-on environment as part of the staff of a non-profit theater. Porchlight offers internships in different categories: Artistic Administration, Education & Outreach, Development & Special Events, Marketing & PR/Publicity, and Artistic/Casting.
Porchlight Interns work closely with their departments on special projects and ongoing work. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. You can find more information about each internship in “more info”.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Be a Part of Our Team As a Volunteer*
Porchlight Music Theatre welcomes volunteers to assist our staff on a variety of projects and events.
- Volunteer benefits include complimentary tickets to Porchlight Music Theatre productions and events, as available.
- Volunteers must complete and submit an application, and an interview will be conducted either in person or via phone.
For more information, please email email@example.com, subject: Volunteer.
*Please note that theatre ushers are provided by The Saints, Volunteers for the Performing Arts. For information on how you can become a Saint, call (773) 529-5510.I Want to Volunteer!
Porchlight Music Theatre accepts full length scripts year-round from literary agents and theatre professionals with whom we have an existing professional relationship. We invite unrepresented writers to submit a brief bio, short synopsis, and ten pages of sample dialogue and music on CD or sent electronically.More Info