Work With Us
Opportunities at Porchlight
Porchlight Music Theatre is able to Chicago’s center for music theatre thanks to the work of our dedicated and talented staff and artists. If you have skills and experience that would be an asset to our team, we’d love to meet you!
Porchlight Music Theatre is a professional, nonprofit Chicago theatre with an annual budget, in normal times, of just over $2 million. We are part of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers, operating on a CAT II contract.
Porchlight has been celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for the last 25 years. After the pandemic shuttered stages last spring, Porchlight has been an industry leader with virtual programming, offering a wide range of both free and premium programs.
As an Artist In-Residence at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, we present our Mainstage and Porchlight Revisits series in this intimate, historic 218-seat venue. Other programs, such as the New Faces Sing Broadway revues and youth programming, bring us to neighborhoods across the city. Our award-winning productions delighted 35,000+ patrons last season.
Over the past several years we have significantly expanded our audience and supporter base, enhanced our community outreach and youth education programming, and continually raised the bar on the quality and variety of our artistic offerings.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Porchlight Music Theatre!
(ABOVE: Aaron Benham in “The Scottsboro Boys.” Photo by Austin Packard)
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future audition calls.
New Faces Sing Broadway 1979 – Casting Call
Porchlight Music Theatre announces video auditions for New Faces Sing Broadway 1979.
Seeking singing Adult Actors (18+) of all ethnicities and gender identities.
Local, Chicagoland based hires only.
Late May/Early June – individual vocal & performance coachings
Week of June 6 – group rehearsal & dress rehearsal
Saturday, June 12 – Outdoor Performance, North Shore Center for the Performing Arts
(Rain Date TBD)Learn More
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future opportunities.
Posted April 2021
Porchlight seeks a creative and energetic part-time (24 hours/week) Marketing Associate to join our fast-paced team, providing graphic design, photography, video and tactical marketing support to the artistic, development, education and other activities of the theatre. This position reports to the Marketing Manager and works closely with internal departments to strategize, develop, coordinate and execute marketing/communications efforts and materials.
Create and coordinate social media, eblast and website content across departments
- Assist with weekly eblasts, coordinating with other program areas on content
- Post social media content across platforms including specialized graphics and videos
- Assist with website updating
- Provide analytics and review social media posts and eblast responses
- Provide photography, videotaping and video editing
Design and execute materials to support fundraising/development activities
- Coordinate production and execution of promotional materials (invitations, email campaigns, donor brochures, annual report, etc.)
- Create on-site signage and materials for events
- Manage video elements at events, creating/editing video as needed
- Assist on-site with major fundraising and company events such as the ICONS Gala, Chicago Sings, Mainstage opening nights, etc.
Provide design and marketing support for education and engagement programs
- Create and execute print promotions, emails, social media posts, etc.
- Handle advertising and listing placements, working collaboratively with education director
- Videotape/photograph all program offerings for use in future promotions
Coordinate materials and services for Mainstage series, Revisits series, New Faces Sing Broadway series, and other artistic programs
- Work with Audience Services team to prepare reports based on audience surveys, box office data, etc. providing analysis on audience demographics/trends and the success of targeted marketing efforts in conjunction with Marketing staff
- Assist in developing and executing new marketing strategies, audience outreach opportunities, and promotional copy for increasing single ticket sales, subscriptions and event attendance
Manage production of the annual season brochure including design, printing, mailing/distribution
- Secure competitively priced graphic design, printer, mailing house, etc.
- Coordinate all materials for graphic designer (photos, photo approvals, logos, copy, etc), writing copy as needed and managing rounds of edits
- Coordinate internal and external mailing lists
- Oversee mailing of brochure and other distribution efforts
Attend regular marketing and staff meetings as scheduled, and take on other duties as assigned
- Minimum one year graphic design experience
- Experience with video projects, including videotaping and editing
- Proficient with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects and Illustrator; comfort using WordPress, MailChimp and/or Patron Manager is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge and ability to report on the analytical data for, but not limited to, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Spotify
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Track record of meeting deadlines, prioritizing projects and multi-tasking
- Cultural competency to work with individuals and groups from diverse racial, religious, ethnic, educational, ability and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as members of the LGBTQ and gender non-conforming communities
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as performances or events require
Starting salary of $16/hour
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and design samples via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted March 2021
Porchlight seeks an energetic full-time Development Manager to join our growing team. Working with the Development Director, this position manages a successful annual giving program, including developing and implementing data-based strategies to achieve goals, preparing and executing fundraising appeals, acknowledgements and reports, and cultivating strong relationships by engaging and stewarding donors through multiple touchpoints.
Annual Fund & Database Management (60%)
- Support Development Director in creating, executing and evaluating annual fundraising plans.
- Create and execute strategies sustaining and growing the number of donors, the size of individual donations, converting annual donors to major donors, and increasing engagement.
- Ensure quality and accuracy in managing the PatronManager database: Maintain donor records and lists, develop and maintain a moves management system, create and refine a campaign and fund structure, and identify opportunities for systems integration for improved data quality, reduced data entry, and increase cross-departmental collaboration. Enforce and encourage data entry standards and best practices.
- Prepare accurate quarterly fundraising appeals (renewals and acquisitions) and manage the logistics of mailing to strategically segmented lists.
- Generate reports that track participation and progress, assist with analyzing current and prospective donor activity to project future trends.
- Manage all correspondence with individual donors, and serve as point person for all development-related inquiries (internal and external).
- Manage and enhance online giving initiatives; contribute fundraising ideas and copy for website, emails and social media
- Assist the Development Director with creating a pipeline of prospective major donors, conducting ongoing prospect research, and preparing for donor meetings.
Event Coordination & Support (30%)
- Coordinate a portfolio of events, including opening night celebrations, ICONS Gala, and Chicago Sings fundraising concert.
- Manage logistics to ensure a smooth-running event, achievement of goals, and an exceptional donor experience.
- Support ad-hoc events related to programming, including donor receptions, and in-home parties hosted by key donors.
- Serve as a knowledgeable and enthusiastic representative at performances and events.
- Implement strategies for converting event attendees to donors and/or engage them in other meaningful ways post-event (e.g. event committees or engagement groups).
General Development Support (10%)
- Reconcile income and expenses monthly with the finance department; work with Development Director to create and manage annual Development budget and track performance.
- Manage the Porchlight Young Professionals group, organizing meetings and events, and driving recruitment.
- Collaborate with Development Director, Executive Director and other staff to manage relationships with major donors, corporate sponsors, foundations, vendors, in-kind donors, individual sponsors, and board members. Actively network with peers and prospects.
- Work with Marketing/Audience Services team to develop strategies that ensure development presence in all company communications and at our performance spaces, to obtain statistics regarding attendance and marketing reach.
- Ensure department’s policy and procedure documentation is current and being implemented.
- Take on other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years experience working with individual donors as part of a comprehensive development program
- Experience with CRM database management; Patron Manager knowledge a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Word and Excel
- Ability to solve problems and multi-task, prioritizing multiple deadlines
- Superb attention to detail and accuracy, ultimate confidentiality of donor information
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Cultural competency to work with individuals and groups from diverse racial, religious, ethnic, educational, ability, and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as members of the LGBTQ and gender non-conforming communities
- Availability to work weekday evenings and weekends as required
- Commitment to excellence and a passion for the mission of Porchlight Music Theatre
- Salary: starting at $45,000+ annually, commensurate with experience
- Benefits: optional individual health insurance with 80% employer contribution; ample paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and design samples via email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer..
Join the Team. Be a Porchlight Intern.
Please note: Due to COVID-19, we are currently only considering applications for Fall 2021 onward, on a rolling basis.
Porchlight Music Theatre’s Internship program is an opportunity for qualified college students, graduates, and young professionals to learn in a hands-on environment as part of the staff of a non-profit theater. Porchlight offers internships in different categories: Artistic Administration, Education & Outreach, Development & Special Events, Marketing & PR/Publicity, and Artistic/Casting.
Porchlight Interns work closely with their departments on special projects and ongoing work. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. You can find more information about each internship in “more info”.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Be a Part of Our Team As a Volunteer*
Porchlight Music Theatre welcomes volunteers to assist our staff on a variety of projects and events.
- Volunteer benefits include complimentary tickets to Porchlight Music Theatre productions and events, as available.
- Volunteers must complete and submit an application, and an interview will be conducted either in person or via phone.
For more information, please email email@example.com, subject: Volunteer.
*Please note that theatre ushers are provided by The Saints, Volunteers for the Performing Arts. For information on how you can become a Saint, call (773) 529-5510.I Want to Volunteer!
Porchlight Music Theatre accepts full length scripts year-round from literary agents and theatre professionals with whom we have an existing professional relationship. We invite unrepresented writers to submit a brief bio, short synopsis, and ten pages of sample dialogue and music on CD or sent electronically.More Info