Work With Us
Opportunities at Porchlight Music Theatre
Porchlight is Chicago’s center for music theatre thanks to the work of our dedicated and talented staff and artists. If you have skills and experience that would be an asset to our team, we’d love to meet you!
Porchlight Music Theatre is a professional, nonprofit Chicago theatre with an annual budget of about $2.5million. We are part of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers, operating on a CAT II contract, as well as the Chicago Federation of Musicians.
Celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for more than 25 years, Porchlight is in residence at the historic, intimate Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, and completed the best-attended and highest-grossing season in its history just prior to the pandemic.
Porchlight delights more than 30,000 patrons each season with a three- to four-show Mainstage season of inventively reimagined classics, recent Broadway hits and new musical finds; a Porchlight Revisits series of rarely seen musicals in limited run with enhanced dramaturgy; a New Faces Sing Broadway cabaret series; and a free Broadway in your Backyard neighborhood-park concert series, in addition to educational programs for students of all ages through classes and camps, Chicago Public Schools and community partnerships.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Porchlight Music Theatre!
Please check back regularly for updates, or follow us on Facebook for up-to-the-date announcements regarding future audition calls.
Finance & Administration Director
About the Position
Porchlight Music Theatre seeks a full-time Finance & Administration Director to be a strategic thought partner with the Executive Director (ED) and organizational leaders, maximizing results and strengthening internal capacity in the areas of finance and budgeting, business planning and administration, and human resources.
Financial Management (50%)
Oversee the organization’s finance function and provide leadership regarding resource prioritization and allocation. Ensure books are accurate, current and compliant with GAAP and for our 501(c)(3) non-profit status.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for key stakeholder segments and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Oversee all finance and accounting systems and processes – both internal and outsourced – including bookkeeping and payroll, finance-related applications, corporate credit card accounts, and any secure financial website logins.
- Oversee all Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable activities.
- Ensure organizational compliance with IRS requirements and other federal and state laws and regulations, including preparation and filing of state and federal reports.
- Track and maintain organization’s assets including inventory, depreciation schedules, and maintenance/replacement cycles.
- Manage and lead the annual audit process and 990 tax return preparation, liaising with external auditors and PMT Finance Committee.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED and in collaboration with departments; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Ensure fiscal policies and procedures are kept current and being implemented.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Finance Committee.
Human Resources Management (40%)
Oversee outsourced HR activities and manage the day-to-day human resources function, serving as the internal HR leader and resource for employees. Manage human resources policies, procedures and programs, overseeing employee recruitment, onboarding, retention, and release. Oversee outsourced payroll, compliance and benefits administration.
- Support hiring across the organization by keeping job descriptions current, assisting with job postings, and maintaining sustainable job grades/salary ranges. Participate in the hiring process of all full-time staff. Ensure that hiring processes are consistent, equitable and streamlined.
- Maintain the organizational chart and ensure that department procedure manuals are updated on an annual basis.
- Manage a comprehensive onboarding program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies and procedures.
- Liaise with internal Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) team and provide company-wide training and professional development opportunities.
- Procure and administer benefit plans.
- Oversee enrollment of all new W2 employees and 1099 contractors into Porchlight’s payroll system.
- Oversee contracted accountant to ensure accurate and timely execution of employee and contractor payrolls on a weekly and/or biweekly basis.
Oversee administrative functions to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Maintain and keep current the corporation’s records including current and archived bylaws, articles of incorporation, business licenses, insurance policies, facilities leases, financial records and HR files.
- Maintain all essential insurance coverage, ensuring competitive rates. Complete and maintain insurance records and reports required by law. Manage insurance claims including Workers’ Compensation.
- Provide risk-management insights to program staff, Finance Committee, Governance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Manage Administration Associate.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or finance, or experience equivalent
- 10+ years of professional business experience with at least 5 years of broad financial and operations management experience; nonprofit financial experience a plus
- 3+ years of oversight on, or significant exposure to, the human resources function
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Expertise in financial planning and analysis, including accounting, forecasting, reporting, analysis and budgeting.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills; ability to build relationships with various stakeholders to drive organizational change
- Ability to manage multiple projects, successfully negotiate, work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods
- Strong comfort level with complex strategy discussions
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting; expertise in QuickBooks Online and Excel
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organizational goals across the organization, including best practices in human resources activities
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Working knowledge of human resource functions including talent management, recruitment, retention, compensation and benefits; ability to appropriately support employees, maintain confidentiality and foster a positive organizational culture
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and dedication to the mission of Porchlight Music Theatre
- Starting at $75,000 annually, commensurate with experience
- Optional individual PPO health insurance with at least 80% employer contribution for individual coverage; optional dental/vision coverage; generous paid time off (PTO) and 10 paid holidays annually
- Flexible hybrid work setting
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Porchlight is hiring Teaching Artists for all youth programs – specifically for in-school residencies and after-school programs.
$25-35/hour plus paid prep time and travel stipend per class.
If you are interested (or know anyone who may be interested) in this role, send an email with your resume attached to our Education Director, Rebeccah Singer, at rebeccah@
- Work with Education Director and teaching team to plan, prepare, and execute classes upon agreed schedule
- Attend teachers’ meeting prior to the start of the teaching session and agreed upon number of continuing training and professional development sessions
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of class and be ready to receive students at class time
- Not miss more than two classes per session
- Communicate the need for a sub as soon as possible to Education Director
- Participate in self evaluation and provide feedback on teaching team and class experience
- Restore the classroom space after class each day
- Communicate the need for all printing and supplies as soon as possible, or purchase and submit reimbursement
- Adhere to all deadlines for class communications including newsletters and programs
How to Apply:
Please send your resume + cover letter to Education Director, Rebeccah Singer, at email@example.com. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre – especially residents of Chicago’s south and west side and Spanish speaking teaching artists – are strongly encouraged to apply.
Join the Team. Be a Porchlight Intern.
Porchlight Music Theatre’s Internship program is an opportunity for qualified college students, graduates and young professionals to learn in a hands-on environment as part of the staff of a non-profit theater. Porchlight offers internships in different categories: Artistic Administration, Education & Outreach, Development & Special Events, Marketing & PR/Publicity, and Artistic/Casting.
Porchlight Interns work closely with their departments on special projects and ongoing work. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. You can find more information about each internship in “more info”.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Porchlight is NOT accepting applications for internships at this time. Thank you for your interest.MORE INFO
Be a Part of Our Team As a Volunteer*
Porchlight Music Theatre welcomes volunteers to assist our staff on a variety of projects and events.
- Volunteer benefits include complimentary tickets to Porchlight Music Theatre productions and events, as available.
- Volunteers must complete and submit an application, and an interview will be conducted either in person or via phone.
For more information, please email email@example.com, subject: Volunteer.
*Please note that theatre ushers are provided by The Saints, Volunteers for the Performing Arts. For information on how you can become a Saint, call (773) 529-5510.I Want to Volunteer!
Porchlight Music Theatre accepts full length scripts year-round from literary agents and theatre professionals with whom we have an existing professional relationship. We invite unrepresented writers to submit a brief bio, short synopsis, and ten pages of sample dialogue and music on CD or sent electronically.More Info